Get Licensed

You must be licensed to operate a child care business in California. BizNest at Children’s Council is here to help you at every stage of the licensing process.

To receive a child care license you must:

Commonly asked questions:

Children’s Council can assist you at every stage of the licensing process. For more information on becoming licensed, email Provider Services or call 415.276.2974.

*Click here to learn more about nutrition training requirements. 

About Community Care Licensing

Community Care Licensing is the state agency responsible for licensing and monitoring family child care homes and child care centers to ensure that they provide safe and healthy environments for children. For more information visit or call the San Bruno office at 650.266.8843.

Important documents from Community Care Licensing

License-Exempt Providers

License-exempt providers may be relatives, friends or neighbors, and also include nannies, babysitters, and au pairs. This overview from the Child Care Law Center explains who can legally care for children without a license.

For more information on training and support available for license-exempt providers please see our upcoming classes. You can also email our team or call 415.276.2974.